A Walk in the Fog



The fog this morning was really thick and the dogs and I took our normal lonely route alongside woodland and farmers' fields. Maybe this is why I'm an author, because not only do I have a wild imagination, but I think I also have good instincts.
Skye is allowed to be off lead almost all of our walk because a) She's well trained and really obedient. b) If we see other dogs, she'll circumnavigate them so they don't come into conflict. c) She doesn't stray any further than 10 paces away.
Beau on the other hand, although 90% obedient, he will if he sees another dog a) act as though he's never been trained in his life b) charge over to say hello, even if its a mile in front c) forget all recall.
So this morning on the walk where we never meet anyone and where Beau would normally be allowed free range, my instinct with the poor visibility was to put him on lead.
First we met a man in the thick fog walking in the same direction as us with three dogs. Luckily uneventful.
Second, we crossed paths with a woman with two colllies, which was also uneventful as I had Beau right next to me.
It was the third encounter which reminded me of my writing.
Skye had paused behind me when I heard the deepest growl ever. There is no sound like a Dalmatian growl, it truly is menacing, especially when they're serious! I turned and peered through the fog initially at nothing, and suddenly a man appeared, charging towards us and Skye's growl hit another level of threat. The poor jogger froze (he may have pooped his pants) and only when I called Skye to my side, gave her the command to sit, telling him it was okay did the man move again.
I didn't apologise for her behaviour, she was impeccable. Her instinct told her to protect me and that was what she did. But she was instantly obedient when I gave her a command. I expect it of her and she didn't disappoint.
I've only known Skye react that way once before when my youngest and I were walking in Ironbridge Gorge and two men slid down the hillside in front of us and it was that reaction, that instinct I witnessed then that forged the basis of the storyline for The Keeper.
Who knows where this story line will lead...



Amazon.co.uk   https://amzn.to/2vhQ5iH

Amazon.com     https://amzn.to/36dWrMQ



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PASSIONATE HISTORY - LIBBY WATERFORD

DS Jenna Morgan Series - Inspiration, Writing & Research

The Perfect Kiss